avalon-dev mailing list archives

From J Aaron Farr <fa...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [site] overhaul in the works
Date Wed, 01 Oct 2003 23:43:16 GMT
On Wed, 2003-10-01 at 19:05, Stephen McConnell wrote:
> [resending - original post send around 24 hours ago]

> >So, thoughts?
> >

> Big improvement over current home page. Will menus be expandable or is this
> a flat structure?  Which tool are you using?

Planning on them to be expandable (but will still focus on simplicity).

Currently using Forrest.

> >Comments?
> >

> Left Menu Content
> -----------------
>
> Under Project:
> - the "License" submenu could be moved under "Resources"
> - Who We Are can be merged with Community
> Under Product:
> - Break "Containers" into two entries - "Fortress" and "Merlin"
> - Sandbox should be moved to Resources (its not product)
> - Related should be moved to Resources

All these sound good.

I was planning on having Fortress and Merlin links expand into view when
clicking on the containers link.

> Under Documetation:
> - API should be removed (apis should be provided under each product)

Wasn't sure about this.  Some times I like having all the API available,
but it often seems out dated.

> General comments:
> -----------------
> 1. either kill "Avalon Main" on the left or "Home" on the right.
> 2. too much visual noise in the header - i.e. one of the logos
>    should go
> 3. remove "Sandbox" from the horizontal menu - keep focus on products

I'll try these out and see how they work.

> 4. horizontal menu items should be either brand *or* group
>    E.g.: brand breakdown:
>      "Fortress", "Merlin", "Cornerstone", "Excalibur", "Framework"
>    E.g.: group breakdown:
>      "Containment", "Components", "Utilities", "Framework"

This was a big debate of mine -- project names vs. groups.  I think it
could go either way.  I like Cornerstone and Excalibur better than
Components and Utilities because if you don't introduce the names to the
users early on, it just adds confusion.  I like Containers because we
have merlin, fortress and phoenix and who knows what will be there in a
year or two.  The Containers page would be a good place to explain the
differences between the projects.  Links to individual containers could
go on from there.

In the end though, I want one naming scheme that is consistently used
throughout the site.

> >Criticisms?
> >

> IMVHO its too visually busy (but I think resolvable by removing one of
> the logos).

I'll try it and we'll see how it looks.  What does everyone else think
about dropping a logo?  I kinda like the style of the old Avalon logo,
but Avalon has sort of grown beyond just the Apache Server Framework.

--
 jaaron  <http://jadetower.org>