avalon-dev mailing list archives

From "Farr, Aaron" <Aaron.F...@am.sony.com>
Subject RE: framework javadocs disappeared?
Date Wed, 29 Oct 2003 18:54:10 GMT

First off, the general rule of thumb is that documentation related to a
specific project (ie- framework, merlin, fortress, excalibur, ...) will have
its own documentation section located at:

http://avalon.apache.org/${projectName}

I think it was Leo who pointed out that this generally maps very well to
package structures like:  org.apache.avalon.framework compared to the
(somewhat more consistent) URLs like
http://avalon.apache.org/product/framework

Secondly, project specific docs are separate from the main avalon-site
structure and will thus have their own side menu contents and whatnot that
will be different from the main site's

 * overview
 * latest news
 * community
 * products
 * documentation

structure.  However, each project/product/sub-project/whatever documentation
should include the standard maven "Project Documentation" section; in which
case, javadocs should show up in the normal location there.  This is not
currently the case and we should move to some sort of consistency.

As for the Meta project and Framework project being together, well, we had a
short discussion about that last week (I think it was last week).  The idea
is that the first "Framework" link was originally called "Platform" and then
"Component Model".  It was to include things like Framework and Meta which
all containers use or should use.  In the end, it got named Framework for
the sake of consistency.

In any case, we're probably going to have a couple days of (hopefully few)
broken links and inconsistencies while we're in transition.

J. Aaron Farr
  SONY ELECTRONICS
  DDP-CIM
  (724) 696-7653