avalon-dev mailing list archives

From "Farr, Aaron" <Aaron.F...@am.sony.com>
Subject RE: [site] mavenization in progress
Date Mon, 27 Oct 2003 13:47:28 GMT

Leo,

Thanks for the feedback!  I agree with the comments Stephen made and I've
got a few things to add myself...

I'll need to put together a list of URL conversions between the current site
and the mavenized one.  I wanted to maintain paths but sometimes I felt the
structure was a sprawling mess -- wanted to consolidate directories and keep
things clean.

> This allows links such as
>
>   http://avalon.apache.org/get-involved.html
>   http://avalon.apache.org/download.cgi
>   http://avalon.apache.org/phoenix/api/
>     maps to org.apache.avalon.phoenix nicely :D
>   http://avalon.apache.org/cornerstone/threads/api/
>     maps to org.apache.avalon.cornerstone.threads nicely :D

This was my intension.

Just as we have it now, the main site CVS module would only contain xdocs
for the basic site, not project specific docs.  We would reserve project
space like http://avalon.apache.org/phoenix or
http://avalon.apache.org/merlin.  One difference is that I want to clearly
document where project specific documentation belongs.

> Also, is it possible with maven to have the menu on the front page
> expanded by default like we currently do?

Probably, but I kinda like the condensed menu.  The current one is just _so_
big and so long I think the items get lost.

> change for the sake of change is not good :D

It's not change, it's refactoring!  :)

> > Finally, does anyone have some comments on the front page content?  Do
> > you like the advantages list?  Anything to add or take away?
>
> - predicatibility & validation
> - very difficult to write crappy components
>
> http://nagoya.apache.org/wiki/apachewiki.cgi?AvalonYouMakeTheDecision
> has more ideas :D

I wanted to help finish that and add it to our 'Articles' list.

> PS: anyone seen http://website-beta.mozilla.org/? They sure made that an
> enterprise-friendly page :D

Yeah, we could probably take some hints and ideas from that.

J. Aaron Farr
  SONY ELECTRONICS
  DDP-CIM
  (724) 696-7653