avalon-dev mailing list archives

From "Farr, Aaron" <Aaron.F...@am.sony.com>
Subject [RT] My Merlin Wish List
Date Sat, 18 Oct 2003 20:42:38 GMT
Da Jia Hao!

In the process of getting one of our current projects based on merlin
cleaned up for production use, I started generating a little wish list.
Thought it might be nice to share:

MMWL: My Merlin Wish List

Extensions
  Integrated JMX Support
  'exporter' for easy AltRMI exporting

Tools + Utilities
  Nifty GUI tool for assembly process (some IDE plugin?)
  Merlin Windows installer (installs Merlin Platform)
  Linux daemon scripts

Legacy Support
   Easy Fortress migration process (even docs would be nice)
   Support for dropping .sars into a location like Phoenix
   Service Discovery Service
     (support for ServiceManager lookup schemes)
   Support for excalibur utilities like logging
     and instrumentation

Embeddable Merlin containers
   servlets
   swing apps

Documentation
   Tutorials (existing ones decent, just want more)
   "Best Practices" documentation on things like
      deploying components, naming, use of extensions, etc.

----

I'm sure I'll think of a few more as soon as I send off this email.  Of the
above, I've started on a windows installer, the exporter and a service
discover service.

One thing I'm really looking for is an easy way to install and manage
applications.  My super Merlin Management tool would do things like:

  - modify kernel configuration
  - allow installation of blocks from a repository
  - manage existing installed blocks (editing configuration, etc.)
  - select which apps are running as services vs standalone
  - create shortcuts and launch scripts
  - update merlin kernel itself (the bootstrapper)
  - create installable "images" of a merlin app

One of the biggest reasons I want something like this is that it would help
standardize the installation/deployment process.  There's been talk of doing
something like this (usually aimed more at a development tool rather than
deployment).  Has anyone actually started some code?  I know the initial
idea is usually a set of Eclipse plug-ins, but I'm not very Eclipse savvy.

J. Aaron Farr
  SONY ELECTRONICS
  DDP-CIM
  (724) 696-7653