avalon-dev mailing list archives

From "Noel J. Bergman" <n...@devtech.com>
Subject RE: Useful error messages
Date Mon, 01 Sep 2003 22:48:40 GMT
> >As I understand it from your previous notes, Merlin is primarily short in
> > the area of log configuration?

> It's the reverse - well almost.  The reverse would suggest that Merlin
> is long in the area of short configurations which doesn't really man
> anything to me.

Huh?  Stephen, read it again.  L-O-G, not l-o-N-g.  I thought that you had
said that Merlin did not yet have the *L-O-G* configurability that Phoenix
provides.

> If you can reformulate the question I'll try and give you an answer.

I can reformulate it, or you can clean your monitor.  :-p

> merlin is what you want it to be for whatever your configuration
> requirements are.  Phoenix style "put it all together solution"
> - no problem (except that it doesn't scale).  Merlin style - break
> out the different logical usage abstractions and package them
> accordingly - and your starting to move towards something scalable.

Example?

> Merlin will provide probably a higher level of deployment relability,
> but less frills at that system level of abstraction (e.g. you don't
> have the JMX and logging options currently available in Phonenix at
> this time) - but you do have more frills on finner grain abstractions
> such as ... component reuse.

Aha!  See: "don't have the JMX and L-O-G-G-I-N-G options currently ..."  I
did remember it correctly.  OK, what are the differences for L-O-G-G-I-N-G?
We currently disable JMX, so until it is done properly, I don't think that's
an issue.

> Running James on Merlin means:
>   1. massive simplification of the system configuration
>   2. greater reliability during deployment
>   3. better error handling
>   4. ability to reuse James with other components
>   5. simplification of the development process
>   6. development time testing and validation of deployment

All of the above require justification.  Good to know, but require
justification.  I would be happy if startup and footprint were lighter, so
that we could run multiple processes, instead of one monolithic process
(e.g., separate protocol handling services into separate processes connected
via repositories/spool; and the pipeline processing in its own process,
too).  As an optional configuration, it would be helpful.  Personally, I am
very tempted to do it in my own deployment because it means I could
reconfigure & restart the pipeline without having to take down the SMTP and
POP3 services.

> I don't think the System.err output is really relevant - that's just a
> output target.

I was refering to what Phoenix does.

> Should Merlin be seperating these notion  (e.g. using one logging
> channel for verbose dumping of full information and another
> channel for consolidated reposting)?

Interesting notion.  Requires more thought than I have to spare at the
moment.

	--- Noel