avalon-dev mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <field...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Dot Net and Open Source projects
Date Mon, 29 Sep 2003 20:36:53 GMT
> I see.  So what would the official stand on this?  I would like for
> the technology we write to be useable both in the Mono (i.e. Unix)
> world as well as the win 32 world.

Our official stand would have to be defined by the board, but my
opinion is that the ASF doesn't know of any applicable patents
and that by implementing to an open specification according to its
published license, we cannot be doing anything other than what the
publisher of that specification expects the public to do.  Thus,
they have given up their right to restrict use of the technology
by their expressed desire that others implement it, and will proceed
on that basis until the owner tells us otherwise.

....Roy