avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Berin Loritsch <blorit...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Dot Net and Open Source projects
Date Mon, 29 Sep 2003 18:38:14 GMT
Roy T. Fielding wrote:

>> No reason why, other than I don't know what they have done and have
>> not done.
>> If there are things that the Mono team has implemented that will be
>> patened in
>> the near future, where does that put us?
>

> Berin, as an officer of the ASF, please be sure to differentiate
> between official communication with Microsoft (the company) and
> just conversing with some of their employees.  I am assuming here
> that they did not formally notify you of a patent infringement.

Correct.  I merely conversed with their employees.  I did ask some
questions as to avoid future patent infringement as we are just beginning
to do some .NET work.

> You do not need to worry about things that may be patented in
> the "near future".  Microsoft has hundreds of patents on software
> that cannot be enforced simply because they are bullshit patents
> and a countersuit would cost them far more than they would gain
> from trying to enforce it.  Once the patent exists, we can ask them
> for a license.
>
> If they tell us to cease and desist, then we will, but it is their
> responsibility to tell us.  We make no revenue on our software and
> have no means to keep up with the PTO filings, so there is no need
> to worry about them suing us.

I see.  So what would the official stand on this?  I would like for
the technology we write to be useable both in the Mono (i.e. Unix)
world as well as the win 32 world.

  deserve neither liberty nor safety."
                 - Benjamin Franklin