avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Berin Loritsch <blorit...@apache.org>
Subject Re: dotNet
Date Wed, 24 Sep 2003 19:01:56 GMT
Noel J. Bergman wrote:

>>What is so interesting about .Net is that it is essentially an open
>>standard (some parts still in review by standards bodies)
>

> Not only is Microsoft filing patents on .NET, but they consider the
> wire-level protocol part of their licensable technology.  Miguel de Icaza
> from the mono project disagrees with, or misunderstood, some of what I said,
> but even he says that "[Microsoft licensed material] might be needed for
> interop on Windows."  Anne Thomas Manes, who has become a mono advocate also
> warns that "these patents assure Microsoft's control of the complete .NET
> platform. So even though C#/CLI is open and non-proprietary, the .NET
> platform isn't."
>
> So you have three options:
>
>   1. Accept Microsoft IP lock-in, and develop for .NET.
>   2. Develop using the Java platform, and work with
>      Sun on increasing openness.

We should do this anyway.

>   3. Re-do everything on the ECMA platform, abandon all
>      pretense of .NET, and hope that you do not still
>      run afoul of IP entanglements.

This might be the best option for C#, esp. since many of the M$ developed and
IP owned pieces are broken anyway.  Essentially, for Avalon Framework will
use free pieces.  Question: is XML parsing part of the protected IP?  If so
we confirm what we always knew: M$ sucks big time.

> When I wrote that "history bears witness to the fact that EVERY time
> Microsoft has opened something up, it has been nothing more than the
> specialized dorsal fin of an anglerfish", I was quite serious.  Microsoft is
> very good at bait and catch.  As even the computer, Joshua, in War Games
> figured out, the only way to win is not to play the game.  Am I being
> paranoid?  Hey, I think that they have fairly earned the reputation.
> Microsoft has played the game often enough with customers, partners and
> courts.  They may be entitled to play fisherman, but I am not a trout.
>
> Now if you WANT to develop Microsoft-specific code, go right ahead.  I don't
> have any problem with someone who wants to do so.  Avalon.NET would be
> valuable for developing applications on the .NET platform.  I am in no way
> saying that it should not be done.  I'm simply responding to the belief that
> .NET is any sort of open platform.

Not really.  It is more for C#.

  deserve neither liberty nor safety."
                 - Benjamin Franklin