avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Stephen McConnell <mcconn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RT] The Much-Needed Kitchen Sink Distribution
Date Wed, 24 Sep 2003 05:05:45 GMT

Farr, Aaron wrote:

> [...]

Its easier than that!

$ merlin -install <your-block-url>

The url reference a deployment unit (in the merlin case its a bar
file).  Take for example something like James. It possible to package
the core or james into a bar and with one command populate you local
repository with everything required in accordance with the applicable
licenses (and in the james case this includes bundled mail and
activation jar files).  Then execute:

$ merlin %MERLIN_HOME%\repository\james\xmls\block.xml
   -config %MERLIN_HOME%\repository\james\xmls\config.xml

bingo - your operational.

>  Advantages:  We wouldn't have to host third party jars on avalon, just
>point to the third-party repository.  This gets us around some licensing
>issues I would think.

Using references to third-party content partially addresses the issue
but not completely (e.g. the James case where your required to bundle
the mail and activation jar files from Sun).  What this means is that as
far as a bar file for james is concerned, the activation and mail file
are installed into the users repository under the james group.

>  Alternatively, you could also create a 'pre-installed' merlin distribution
>that already has all the resources loaded.

I think a better approach is to use jnlp to install a bootstrap system
then simply parameterize the install with you application.  The
bootstrap install can check if merlin is installed, install if
necessary, then proceed with installation of an app using bar urls.  I'm
already playing with some of these ideas and have established of
experimental component repository that is basically aimed to be an
intelligent front-end to the maven repository supporting component
selection/installation/configuration/deployment based on *function* or
*product*.  For example, you could request an "instant messaging
solution", or directly request the "OpenIM" product.  Using the bar
structural unit of deployment, jnlp for product deployment logic,
product descriptors, block descriptors, and type descriptors - we have a
total scenario.  Add to this the ability to reference services in a
block via urls that link back to the repository and bingo you have any
kitchen sink you want.

;-)

Stephen.

--