avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Stephen McConnell <mcconn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Locating components in a webapp environment
Date Thu, 18 Sep 2003 00:53:55 GMT

Niclas Hedhman wrote:

>On Wednesday 17 September 2003 19:00, Peter Courcoux wrote:
>

>>Hi all,
>>
>>I'm looking at using merlin in a webapp environment and considering the
>>location of the set of components that merlin should manage. Is there
>>some standard on this?
>>
>>I'm considering a hierarchy something like :-
>>
>>WEB-INF/avalon-components/component1/classes/BLOCK-INF/block.xml
>>WEB-INF/avalon-components/component1/classes/package/component1.class
>>WEB-INF/avalon-components/component1/classes/package/component1.xinfo
>>WEB-INF/avalon-components/component2/classes/BLOCK-INF/block.xml
>>WEB-INF/avalon-components/component2/classes/package/component2.class
>>WEB-INF/avalon-components/component2/classes/package/component2.xinfo
>>WEB-INF/avalon-components/component3/component3-1.0.jar
>>
>>I would anticipate that the root, in this example
>>WEB-INF/avalon-components, could be an initialization param set in the
>>web.xml file.
>>
>>Has anyone any thoughts, preferences or comments on this.
>>

>IIANM, Cocoon is working on their on block system, and have or have had this
>discussion. I think it is a good idea to co-ordinate between the projects.

I agree.

I've been browsing the cocoon list - and yes - there is some significant
overlaps.  The threads related to the Cocoon block defintion share many
of the same concerns already addressed in the composite containment meta
model.  There is also the notion of packaging and inheritance which is
included in the Cocoon notion of a block but not in the Merlin notion or
a block.  Under Merlin the packaging model is a bar file that is
basically a fragment of a repository.  Merlin does not have a packaging
descriptor (at least not version 3.0) but I've been looking closely at
the jnlp descriptors and I think we could eventually arrive at a
scenario where a Merlin bar file is handled as a jnlp executable
application (but keep in mind that there is a lot of playing around on
the bootstrap side of things to make thisb happen).

Stephen.

--

Stephen J. McConnell
mailto:mcconnell@apache.org