avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Stephen McConnell <mcconn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: First Merlin build
Date Mon, 08 Sep 2003 14:07:02 GMT

Niclas Hedhman wrote:

>Being "stupid" enough to always use CVS checkouts for evaluations... hmmm?

:-)

>I just did;
>
>cd dev/opensource/avalon-sandbox/merlin
>cvs -q update -dP
>maven merlin-dist
>cd target/merlin
>export MERLIN_HOME=`pwd`
>bin/merlin.sh run
>
>And I got the following result;
>
>[niclas@f2 merlin]$ bin/merlin.sh run
>RUN CMD IS: /java/jdk/bin/java
>-Dmerlin.home=/home/niclas/dev/opensource/avalon-sandbox/merlin/target/merlin
>-Djava.ext.dirs=/home/niclas/dev/opensource/avalon-sandbox/merlin/target/merlin/ext
>-jar
>/home/niclas/dev/opensource/avalon-sandbox/merlin/target/merlin/bin/lib/merlin-bootstrap-1.0.jar

>run
>KERNEL-ERROR: Unexpected error during kernel context instantiation.
>
>Internal error during kernel instantiation.
>Exception: java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError
>Message: org/apache/avalon/composition/util/ExceptionHelper

Umm, looks strange.
How recent is you checkout?  I don't think merlin.sh takes the run
argument as a parameter.  There was some recent updating of the *.sh
scripts.  The run functionality is under merlin-server.sh whereas
merlin.sh is simple command line deployment.  Thing that I'm confused
about is that you should be getting an illegal cli option error message.

>---- stack trace --------------------------------------------------
>java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError:
>org/apache/avalon/composition/util/ExceptionHelper

<snip>

>I was a little bit curious so I did;
>
>[niclas@f2 merlin]$ for FILE in `find . -name "*.jar"` ; do echo $FILE ; jar
>tf $FILE | grep ExceptionHelper ; done
>
>Yielding the result;

<snip>

>Showing the ExceptionHelper class in
>./repository/avalon-composition/jars/avalon-composition-impl-SNAPSHOT.jar
>But not reachable...

The merlin-bootstrap-1.0.jar jar handles the bootstrapping of
classloaders - one of the classloaders holds the ExceptionHelper class
(you can see details of the jar files that are loaded by looking in the
bootstrap har file merlin.properties resource.

>Work in-progress??

Nah  - I know its working on that "other" os because Alexis was playing
with a fresh CVS version earlier today.
Could you do me a favour and confirm that the CVS checkout is up-to-date.

Steve.

>Niclas

Stephen J. McConnell
mailto:mcconnell@apache.org