avalon-dev mailing list archives

From J Aaron Farr <f...@telerama.com>
Subject Re: runtime service dependencies
Date Mon, 01 Sep 2003 14:54:45 GMT
On Mon, 2003-09-01 at 03:54, Leo Simons wrote:

> > I'm working on some ideas for this now -- should have something a little
> > more concrete tomorrow.  Any other thoughts or comments would be
> > appreciated.
>
> been playing in the same area :D

<snip>very nice list of options</snip>

The trouble I've found with Algorithms (as you mentioned) is the speed
and the somewhat unpredictable results components can have.  The most
common example would be a hybrid component that uses both constructors
and bean properties.  The other thing that frustrates me about a purely
algorithmic method is that it would only take one line of meta-data/info
to know how to properly initialize the component.

The approach I've been playing with goes something like:

 - Dependency schemes are defined by Factories
 - The component can declare its dependency type via some sort
   of simple meta-data
 - If no such meta-data exists, each factory attempts to handle
   the dependencies (leading to the algorithmic approach)

The biggest concerns I have here are to:

 - Make it simple (in order of priority that Niclas mentioned)
 - Make it extensible

The trick currently with Merlin is that we have lots of strong meta-info
contracts which are there, understandably, to provide predictability
when it comes to deploying a component.

Looks like I'll have to take a closer look at Jicarilla. :)

jaaron

--
 jaaron  <http://jadetower.org>