avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Leo Simons <leosim...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RRT] Getting back to the basics (long)
Date Fri, 01 Aug 2003 09:06:17 GMT
Berin Loritsch wrote:
> RRT = Radical Random Thought

good one.

>                   -o0= The Basics of a Container =0o-
>                      -o0= The Radical Stuff =0o-

yep. Your last few e-mails and the response show to me that mindshare
for a new way of doing things is reaching critical mass.

sidetracking a little...I would note that sharing with a .Net port can
be sharing of concepts, ideas, and basic patterns, but from my limited
experience the opportunity for code sharing is not so big, simply
because the .Net platform provides a lot of features not available under
java that make putting in place an advanced avalon-style container a lot
more straightforward. In other words: .Net folks, your original thoughts
and radical different implementations will be better than simple java ports.

>                 -o0= Community Agreement Process =0o-

ehm. Totally like the goal you have here and the general idea of trying
alternatives (start with the simplest thing that can possibly work,
discard when that doesn't work), dislike trying to formalize any new
rules. I don't think rules will help us.

>                          -o0= Are We on Board? =0o-

yep. Have been for a while, glad you're catching on :P Lets keep our
heads cool tho.

I have put some proof-of-concept stuff in my private sandbox at

http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/jicarilla/jicarilla-sandbox/platform/

I think it's worth a look of all devs here simply because its internals
are shaping up very differently from what we have here @ avalon. Of
course, with pico (whose internals I still have to take a look at), it
might be a lot less different to some already ;).

I have a mach-style microkernel providing async message management as
well, and another one providing classworld management, and some sketchy
container code invoking jython all over the place but I cut that out for
reasons of clarity.

I am going to do more experimentation in this little corner of the
world. Lets see how much of the concepts developed can be brought into
the fold over here.

greetz!

- Leo