avalon-dev mailing list archives

From "Noel J. Bergman" <n...@devtech.com>
Subject RE: Useful error messages
Date Thu, 28 Aug 2003 18:38:43 GMT
Anders,

I don’t disagree that the error message from Phoenix is poor, and I have
already forwarded your complaint to the Avalon Developer list.  However,
your encounter with it is not the norm.  So I don’t believe that “most new
users” encounter it.  This is not to dismiss it.  The complaint is valid.
If someone wants to find where in the Avalon code that should be made, I
believe that we may now have direct commit rights to that part of the CVS.

Avalon is close to finishing a coordinated release process that has taken
then most of this year, so we will probably look to update our deployment
when they finish.

	--- Noel

-----Original Message-----
From: boxed [mailto:boxed@home.se]
Sent: Thursday, August 28, 2003 13:14
To: James Users List
Subject: Re: Useful error messages

Noel J. Bergman wrote:

>Configuration for James is actually rather simple.  It comes pretty much
>configured for basic operation, and advanced stuff is fairly easy, too.
>Much easier than sendmail, qmail, etc.  I think that the problem you ran
>into was because you didn’t realize the meaning of a file URL, which is
>documented in the config.xml, by the way, and did MORE configuration than
>you needed to do.

I disagree. Sure, there is little real config needed to do, but my real
problem (and I suspect most new users problem) is that if I screw it up,
it gives me 300 lines of total crap instead of just saying "you fucked
up line x in this way".  Try doing a nested XML comment in some place of
config.xml by the way. It will give you a 300 line stack trace error
_without telling you what line the error is on_.

The user experience from the first 10 minutes I spent on this product
were totally horrible. If you intend to compete with commercial products
(and I really hope you do) the end user experience must be taken into
account.

Anders Hovmöller