avalon-dev mailing list archives

From "Noel J. Bergman" <n...@devtech.com>
Subject Useful error messages
Date Tue, 26 Aug 2003 22:11:54 GMT
A complaint from one of our users ... something to consider in terms of
effective logging.  I have already replied to his mis-configuration issue.

I trimmed the stack trace, which he included it its entirety, but I have
left the phoenix log attached.

	--- Noel

-----Original Message-----
From: boxed [mailto:boxed@killingar.net]
Sent: Tuesday, August 26, 2003 17:30
To: server-user@james.apache.org
Subject: Useful error messages

I installed the James server today and the first thing that happens
after I've edited the config.xml file and attempt to start the server is
that I am greeted with the following error message. I have attached the
config file for you to check out. This error message gives me no
meaningful information whatsoever, and it repeats it several times. This
looks like a basic flaw in usability to me.

Using PHOENIX_HOME:   C:\Programming\system\james
Using PHOENIX_TMPDIR: C:\Programming\system\james\temp
Using JAVA_HOME:      c:\programming\system\jdk

Phoenix 4.0.1

There was an uncaught exception:
--- Message ---
Failed to start application james.
--- Stack Trace ---
org.apache.avalon.phoenix.interfaces.DeploymentException: Failed to
start application james.
    at
org.apache.avalon.phoenix.components.deployer.DefaultDeployer.deploy(Default
Deployer.java:379)

[... and lots of equally useless stuff hiding the real problem ...]

The log file may contain further details of error.
Please check the configuration files and restart Phoenix.
If the problem persists, contact the Avalon project.  See
http://jakarta.apache.org/avalon for more information.
Shutting down Phoenix.

"the log file" is an interesting question also. Which file does it refer
to? james/log/pheonix.log? I have attached this file also. There are
however 51 more logfiles in james/apps/james/logs that I did not attach.

Anders Hovmöller