avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Berin Loritsch <blorit...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Useful error messages
Date Fri, 29 Aug 2003 15:21:52 GMT
Stephen McConnell wrote:

> Finally, onto some Avalon concerns.
>
> Two points:
>
> (a) configuration exceptions would be more useful if they contained
> the offending fragment

I just updated the ConfigurationException to allow you to include the
offending Configuration element in the exception.  If the Configuration
element is included, you're message will be appended with the location
information.

Also the toString() method for the Configuration element was changed from
the default "XYZConfiguration@12345678" to something more useful.  For
example if we have the following line at line 345 in the config file:

     <config>value</config>

The toString() will spit out:

config::value:@config.xml:345:4

i.e.

${name}::${value}:@${location}

If there is no value, it will default to "<no value>".

I also added the Javadocs for the equals/hashcode stuff.

The getMessage() for the ConfigurationException does this:

${message}@${location} if the original configuration object is there.

> (b) better specs are needed about component/container seperation
> of responsibilities (e.g. who handled error reporting)

The problem with specs and standards is that there are so many to choose
from.  All that is required is to say that the container will log any
exception originating from the component during lifecycle operations.

Add a warning that if they choose to log the exception and throw it themselves
in the component, that it will result in double-logging the exception.

  deserve neither liberty nor safety."
                 - Benjamin Franklin