avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Stephen McConnell <mcconn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [merlin] Lifecycle Extension Support
Date Thu, 28 Aug 2003 00:23:29 GMT

Farr, Aaron wrote:

>Hello.
>
>Okay, I've finally had some time to dig into merlin 3.0.  I'll probably have
>a number of questions and patches over the next couple of days.
>
>First question:  Is there any replacement in 3.0 for the
>DeploymentStageExtension which was in merlin 2.x?

Nope - the intention is to replace it with something that passes a
DeploymentModel instance instead of an Appliance.  The problem with
passing an appliance is that it exposes too much info to the extension.
Secondly, there has been some shuffling of things around at the level of
the kernel - now the kernel creates a root container and I'm thinking
about how we can use this to locate privaliged componenents (such as
extensions).  One of the issues you should aware of is that if you
deploy an extension with access to a model, we need Merlin to provide
the privaliged classloader.  Currently the classloader provides nothing
more than the APIs and privaliged content needs the SPIs as well.  This
means when Merlin locates an extension - it needs to provide the
extension with an extended classloader.

I.e. some non-trivial thinking needed ... each container needs to
supplied with an API and SPI classloader.  Currently we are only dealing
with the API case.  This means some thinking and additions to the
DefaultClassLoaderModel implementation.

Stephen.

>J. Aaron Farr
>  SONY ELECTRONICS