avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Stephen McConnell <mcconn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Avalon-Components Directory Structure [was moving components]
Date Fri, 15 Aug 2003 08:11:41 GMT

Carsten Ziegeler wrote:

>Stephen McConnell wrote:
>

>>>Or is this better?
>>>
>>>+ "component-xyz" + src - api
>>>                   src - impl
>>>                   src - xdocs
>>>

>>Breaking out the src directories does not work - the project level
>>information is different for api and impl.
>>

>Could you please elaborate a little bit on this?

Plugins in maven make the assumption that the project descriptor
represents a single unique artifact.  For example, the dependecies that
a project has can be used to automate the creation of a manifest for a
jar file.  If you consider this example you will quickly discover that
the assumptions made by a plugin do not hold when you have multiple
artifacts per project.  Yes - you can get around this by creating your
own manifest entries and creating a jar file outside of the Maven plugin.

I.e. Maven is intended to be used on the basis of one main artifact per
project. As soon as you start ignoring this you start breaking plugins
left right and center.

Stephen.

>Carsten

Stephen J. McConnell