avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Stephen McConnell <mcconn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Merlin] Pre-release checklist
Date Fri, 08 Aug 2003 22:30:49 GMT

Farr, Aaron wrote:

> [...]

I would prefer we go beta on this.   I've been going over the code and
figure I can remove @avalon.extension and I would like to do that before
going final.  If I can get the changes in before a release then grat,
but I would stilll want to go beta so that we have time to get familiar
before signing of on a final API.

>>For step 2, which features need to be incorporated in Merlin?
>>-------------------------------------------------------------
>>
>>* Embedding Fortress containers
>>* Configuration validation
>>* Support for Pheonix's Environment.xml (security policies, logging, etc.)
>>* Support for the @mx-* tags
>>* Daemon support (i.e. running as a Windows service or Unix daemon)
>>* Phoenix Client support (i.e. the BlockContext, et. al.)
>>* Support for Phoenix Assembly.xml files
>>* SAR support
>>
>>Anything I am missing?
>>

>While this may seem like extras, I think good JMX and JNDI exporting support
>is vital.  The emergence of the Geronimo project only emphasizes this.

+1
And literally everying in the 3.0 composition package is aimed to make
this totally interesting with respect to JMX. A completely model driven
component architecture.

>Also, as Leo mentioned, getting pico/nano support would be a nice plus, but
>it probably shouldn't be a blocker to getting Merlin out.

Agreed - and completely viable.  Something to address post release.

>Also we should make sure good documentation is available.  I'd love to work
>with Stephan (and anyone else) in putting together a great Avalon beginners
>tutorial.

+1

>Finally, I wish we had JIRA available to keep track of these issues for
>release!  I suppose we could start using the Forrest status file in the
>meantime.

Can we just setup a JIRA account?

>>We may want to do multiple beta releases as we add new functionality so
>>that
>>we can get feedback from users.
>>

>+1

++1

Stephen

>>For step 3, what "exit" criteria do we need?
>>--------------------------------------------
>>
>>Can we create the exit criteria in the form of JUnit tests?
>>

>Sounds good to me.
>

>Berin, I think this is an excellent solution.  I'm glad to see some progress
>being made.  I'll help in any way possible.
>
>Thanks,
>jaaron

Stephen J. McConnell
mailto:mcconnell@apache.org