avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Stephen McConnell <mcconn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Proposal] Last ditch effort for one Java codebase
Date Wed, 06 Aug 2003 05:44:07 GMT

Peter Courcoux wrote:

>0.00002 cents worth from a lurker!
>
>Random thoughts follow!
>
>AF, Phoenix and Fortress are released. You're stuck with them!

Actually, no. As noted by Berin (PMC Chair), Fortress has not released
by the Avalon PMC.

Peter Courcoux wrote:

 >0.00002 cents worth from a lurker!
 >
 >Random thoughts follow!
 >
 >AF, Phoenix and Fortress are released. You're stuck with them!

Actually, no!
As noted by Berin (PMC Chair), Fortress has not been released by the
Avalon PMC.

Berin Loritsch wrote:

 > I can deny that it is released in any official capacity.  In fact it
should
 > not be released in any official capacity.  Releases must be approved
by the
 > PMC, and this library has never gone up for vote.  As to it being in use
 > and appreciated, a few folks are benefiting.  As to relevant, I can't say
 > either way.  As to supported, only by one person, not the whole of
Avalon.

As such, Fortress is not a released Avalon product. So in reality we
have Phoenix (without any viable community), Fortress (unreleased), and
that radical, divergent and creative thing called Merlin.

So instead of thinking about:

!
! what is it that Avalon is obliged to live with (past tense)
!

you must consider the following question ...

!
!"what do we actually have to live with" (future tense)
!

Don't assume that the die is cast. Instead, hold the developers in this
community accountable and responsible not only to their technology but
the procedures that the self-same developers proclaim to represent.
Restate your questions but restate it with full and complete knowledge
of the context and the implications of the questions that you raise.

Stephen.

--

Stephen J. McConnell
mailto:mcconnell@apache.org