avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Stephen McConnell <mcconn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Proposal] AMTAGS Update Step 1
Date Wed, 06 Aug 2003 04:57:27 GMT

Berin Loritsch wrote:

> Farr, Aaron wrote:
>

>> for @avalon.dependency, does the container restrict components from
>> looking
>> up services not declared?  If so, how do we specify service dependencies
>> which are not known until runtime?
>>

> Good questions.  To my knowledge, the answer largely depends on your
> container.
> Fortress doesn't restrict you right now, but Phoenix and Merlin do.
> Truthfully
> speaking, it is better to restrict things as much as you can from a
> security
> perspective.

Just for the archives - Merlin does not restrict the developer -
instead, Merlin incorporates two distinct subsystems that work in a
collaborative mode to address the concerns that you are raising.

(a) a discovery system that enables to the location and
selection of a service provider based on quantifiable information

(b) an automated assembly framework that leverages heuristics
related to the context or assembly directives, combined with
notions of explicit, packaged and implicit information

 From this context, Merlin constructs a deployment scenario that is
capable of satisfying the vast majority of application deployment
requirements.  Supplementing these mechanisms, Merlin provides a number
of intervention points that enable component developers and/or
assemblers to influence these decision process as and when required.
Further information concerning Merlin intelligent deployment strategies
can be found on the Merlin home site at the following address:

http://avalon.apache.org/sandbox/merlin

Stephen.

--

Stephen J. McConnell