avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Berin Loritsch <blorit...@apache.org>
Subject Re: urban legend ...
Date Tue, 05 Aug 2003 13:09:16 GMT
Stephen McConnell wrote:

> Paul Hammant wrote:
>
>> Stephen,
>>
>> We had some steerage from outside the committer list of this project
>> did we not?
>

> Yep - lots of steerage - bugger all contribution.
>
> But it kind of makes sense.  If you go back and look at the context we
> wanted to say (in fact we were desperate to say) "yes - we are united"
> and we plastered over our differences (and for good reasons).  Six
> months down the track and the plaster is falling off.  Instead of doing
> things because we are trying to hold together a picture, we can actually
> talk about doing things because we want to.

If we are not united, then the future of this project at ASF is limited,
at best.  I have tried my hardest to get us united--but apparently all that
work was for nothing.  I failed to provide a vision we could all get behind.
I failed to help us agree on certain key things that I believe would help
our users (the meta tags).  I failed to get us all working on one code base
with one purpose.

The status quo sucks.  It sucks for our users, it sucks for us, and it sucks
for people subscribed to this list.  What would make us united?  You tell me,
I can't seem to do it.

> Stephen.
>
> .. where "we" is simply my perception of "us", "then" - if you known
> what I mean ...

Actually no.  What do you mean?

>> - Paul
>>

>>> This sounds like one "an urban legend".
>>> Something that is neither fact nor fiction.
>>>
>>> I guess I just want to say that I don't happen to agree with the
>>> assumption that there is this consensus on this subject.  I certainly
>>> don't agree with the one container strategy and I know of others feel
>>> the same way - and yet there is myth that there is in fact some sort
>>> of understanding here in Avalon that a decision has been reached and
>>> that that decision must be followed without question.  In fact the
>>> only thing that happened was that there were decisions and from that
>>> a roadmap was posted. That roadmap made a lot assumptions about what
>>> would happen, a collaboration between Fortress, Merlin and Phoenix
>>> development that never materialized simply because nobody really
>>> needed it.
>>>
>>> And yet the myth of the single container lingers on ....

The single container is something we once believed in--or at least said
we would work toward.  Now it is only a dream.

  deserve neither liberty nor safety."
                 - Benjamin Franklin