avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Stephen McConnell <mcconn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Merlin & OpenIM
Date Tue, 05 Aug 2003 00:42:46 GMT

Alexis Agahi wrote:

>Folks,
>
>I'm starting to study for real OpenIM/Merlin implementation. OpenIM is based
>on Phoenix and rely on Cornerstone for many stuff, but, for fun & new tech
>experimention (Merlin look funky) and also as Phoenix has some "heavyweight"
>approach, I would like to try something new :)
>
>BTW, after a first look of many hours, Merlin is not that easy to mastering.

Lies, lies, damnable lies!

Well, actually, it should be drop dead simple but you know how it is,
users keep getting in the way, comming up with things thay want to do to
which above and beyond the call of duty. I mean - what can you do?

>Would it be possible to have a burnout-session/beer with one toplevel guru
>floating around, to push an openim release based on Merlin?

Absolutely. Let's do it!

>Is there a release roadmap for Merlin (in/outside avalon)?

There have been no changes to Merlin 2 in the last couple of months
other than the synchronization with the moving out of the meta info
package into sandbox/meta (which I should probably move back under the
Merlin namespace). In fact all of the stuff I've been doing recently is
focussed on Merlin 3.0.

As to your question of "inside or outside of Avalon" - that's an
interesting one. If Merlin stays within Avalon it seems that it will be
disruptive. But I figure that this is better than a move outside of
Avalon. Personally I think Merlin should have had a release here in
Avalon about a year ago. Maybe I should just post a vote and take it
from there.

One of the things that I see as slowing things down is assumption about
what a release means. Personally I want a Merlin release to be an active
vibrant rolling beta process with a stable component contract combined
with a volatile container contract until such time that we feel we have
cracked the equation. I.e. moving away from:

[a bunch of monks mumbling in monotone]

!
! "a release is something that we [pause] at avalon [pause]
! must uphold [long pause] for the benefit of [searching pause]
! our users, [excited pause] our past, our present, and our
! future [satisfied pause]"
!

as distinct from:

!
! "just do it"
!

>As always, as an
>integrator, I'm driven by stable release status to be able to tag the openim
>server 'stable'; this not mandatory, but it's better.

Totally agree.

+100

Merlin 2.1 is fine as it is. That's what you end with using the current
CVS and Merlin command line. Its ready to go, validated against all of
the cornerstone components, James, a bunch of my own experiments, and a
number of external projects (a couple of which have successfully pushed
Merlin well beyond the things I’ve been playing with).

Merlin 3.0 is a process that is starting to emerge - its shaping up to
be about (a) refactoring of the assembly system, (b) separating out a
management model we can easily handle things with JMX, (c) improving the
APIs exposed to container extensions, (d) setting the groundwork for
distribution and federation, while (d) making sure that we having a good
time!

Stephen.

--

Stephen J. McConnell