avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Niclas Hedhman <nic...@hedhman.org>
Subject Blocks made of Blocks
Date Tue, 19 Aug 2003 11:00:04 GMT

Hi,

I am working on the higher-level concept of assembling existing components
into higher-level components and exposing that assembly as a new Block.

There are several ways to do this, and I would appreciate any comments
from others who have looked into this.

1. A tool can map the outer-layer config into the config expected by the
inner-layer blocks, prior to packaging the SAR (for Phoenix). Vice versa,
it can rip out the inner-blocks assembly and transfer it to the SAR
assembly.xml prior to packaging.

2. The higher-level component can wrap a container inside and transfer the
outer-layer config to the inner-layers at runtime. The assembly of the
inner-layers are handled completely by the embedded container.

As for 1, I can manage to get this to work, but it seems like "the wrong
way".

As for 2, I can not manage. Phoenix is out of the question as the embedded
container, and I don't know how to go about using Merlin as the embedded
container and Phoenix as the app container.

Perhaps there are other alternatives.

Shouldn't this whole issue be addressed by Avalon at its core?? If I can't
create components made of other components, we will never manage to build
very large re-usable system components.

Niclas