avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Niclas Hedhman <nic...@hedhman.org>
Subject Re: [RT] Converging our Concerns
Date Sat, 09 Aug 2003 12:57:49 GMT
<quote who="Leo Simons">
> Niclas Hedhman wrote:
>> Should I go Merlin?
>
> tough call (though Steve'll, no doubt, disagree :-P). With an october
> deadline, my guess is you should be prepared to do some merlin
> development yourself to make sure all features you need are accounted
> for. And it'll take you a while (my experience) before you become
> productive developing merlin.
>
> Or you can stick with what you have. Remember, merlin does not have the
> same level of code maturity as phoenix. There will be bugs to fix, and
> inconsistencies in the setup.

Thanks for the advice;

1. October is not a definite deadline, as this is a port of the 3rd
generation system to a new underlying framework (Avalon).

2. There is only a few real users, who are VERY patient with new
technologies (this system started in -96, JDK1.0.2, where Reflection & RMI
was in-house add-ons!) Minor hickups during transitions are acceptable.
They also tend to place new systems (even new point releases, where a
single line of code has been modified) under heavy UATs.

3. I can delay the "stable" shipment a few months, and bring the new
system into a single "pilot project", where it would run live to see if
Merlin is long-term stable.(In our world long-term means years without
restarts.)

4. I am not afraid to help stabilizing OSS code that we use. If I find a
problem, I typically dig down to the cause. If I can find it is a
different story.

Maybe I can get a better grip if I ask more precise questions. Questions
below is "native Merlin", i.e. without any kind of Phoenix emulation
layer;

1. Does Merlin support the "Named Instance" model (a.k.a Singleton) that
is used in Phoenix?

2. Does Merlin have some method for a Block to locate all other Blocks
running? (I use BlockListener in Phoenix).

3. I can run Merlin either as a service (NT & Linux) or directly from
commandline using a script/bat which is stoppable?

4. Does Merlin have some kind of "packaging" system?

5. Does Merlin supports some kind of hot-deploy, re-deploy to any extent
similar to Phoenix?

I think this is comprehensible enough for me to make a balanced decision.

Cheers
Niclas