avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Niclas Hedhman <nic...@hedhman.org>
Subject Re: [RT] Converging our Concerns
Date Sat, 09 Aug 2003 12:04:03 GMT
<quote who="Stephen McConnell">
> Niclas Hedhman wrote:
>>Now, since I haven't 100% committed my products to Phoenix yet, should
>> I reconsider at this point?
>>
>>I guess I have to dive into Merlin now...
>>

> Keep in mind that I've real busy getting 3.0 into shape.  The 3.0
> content is basically all Leo's fault - refactioring of thingas to make
> things cleaner and simpler.  I'm maybe 2 days away from finalizing that.
>  Impact on you should be nothing more than making things easier to work
> with.

Well, I guess I asked the question the wrong way.

I am embedding Phoenix into a complete DevKit for process control
applications, and I have found that Phoenix is ideal for this world.
The DevKit has "Create Block Spec", "Create Block Impl" and "Project
Assembly" completely separated, and in the "Project Assembly" part, the
DevKit takes all the used Blocks (packaged to my own standard :o(  ), with
the UI part (Cocoon based) of each Block Impl (which may be inherited from
the Block Spec) and creates either a CD for installation on the target
system. That CD has an installation procedure to either;
1. Install Project + Jetty/Cocoon in the same Phoenix container.
2. Install the Project in Phoenix and run Jetty/Cocoon in separate JVM
(recommended)
3. Install only Project in Phoenix.
4. Install only Jetty/Cocoon.
5. Install the JVM for the above.

As you may understand, I am focusing on bring the "Best of Apache" into a
single tool to increase efficiency and targetting an audience that is not
inclined to "low-level Java hacking". Instead, I am trying to provide as
many patterns and templates as possible, and basically documentation of
steps to go through for each rather simple task. Later I was thinking to
make those steps as a Wizard in Eclipse or Netbeans.

NOW, (long explaination for a short question) as you can see, I can
proceed with my plans and release all of the above by October or so, BUT
if the long-term future is Merlin, at some point in the future, I will be
faced with a migration problem of my customer's customer's systems(!!!).
OR I can move what I have done so far, and use Merlin straight from the
start, preventing future headaches.

So I am not talking so much about Phoenix compatibility in Merlin, but
shipping Merlin with the product, and has it running in "native mode".

The only "pure Phoenix" feature that I am using so far, is the
BlockListener concept.
My use (not done yet though); A single listener check listens to all
Blocks, and will transfer which blocks has been register to two particular
Blocks, one for network connectivity and one for JavaBean Event wiring.
Not even sure if this is the way I am supposed to do it... and assumes
that there is some way in Merlin for one Block to find out what other
blocks are installed.

Should I go Merlin?

Niclas