avalon-dev mailing list archives

From "Leo Sutic" <leo.su...@inspireinfrastructure.com>
Subject RE: [VOTE-SUMMARY] Keep Sandbox/Attributes?
Date Tue, 19 Aug 2003 18:02:11 GMT

> From: Berin Loritsch [mailto:bloritsch@apache.org]
>
> Leo Sutic wrote:
> > OK, result seems to be support for this:
> >
> >  1. Turn it into a full-blown project with manual, nicer
> >     code etc. In short - get out of the proof-of-concept stage.
> >
> >  2. Move it to Jakarta-Commons-Attributes.
> >
> > I have asked for commit access to Jakarta-Commons-Sandbox, where
> > Attributes is, and I'm also asking the previous developer of that
> > project if I can go ahead and "inherit" the project.
> >
> > Regarding point 1, I'm working on it...
>

> :)  WHat help do you need?

This is my plan:

 0. Rename package to org.apache.commons.attributes and do that renaming
    stuff.

 1. Move the stuff into the Commons Sandbox CVS.
(jakarta-commons-sandbox/attributes-2.0)

 2. Get the thing to compile.

 3. Get the website to build and figure out how to publish it. (And
    publish it.)

 4. Figure out how to do releases and do a 2.0alpha release right away,
    so we get it used in anger ASAP.

 5. Implement attributes in nested classes, incorporate bugfixes for
    2.0alpha, get a Maven plugin for it -> release 2.0beta.

 6. Everything OK -> release 2.0.

Time for the above about one to one and a half week.

Right now I think I'll have to get back to you regarding the help stuff.
It's three things:

 1. How to use Maven to publish a website.

 2. How to use Maven to release a version.

 3. Testing of the code in anger. (I.e. does the API make sense, is it
    usable?)

I'll have to dig into (1) and (2) myself first, but I think I'll
probably come back for help. Regarding (3), as soon as 2.0alpha
is out, then you can help!

I'm also very open to criticism of the current API. Basically,
would you like to use it, or does it make your code look
bad?

Any questions are also welcome - I'm assembling a FAQ for the project.
As a matter of fact, I intend for the manual to be mainly a
very simple tutorial followed by a FAQ, and hope that users will
enjoy the tutorial's simplicity enough to dig into it and end
up in the FAQ.

/LS