avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Merlin's Future with Avalon
Date Fri, 18 Jul 2003 09:05:17 GMT

Stephen McConnell wrote, On 18/07/2003 9.42:

> Bottom line is that I don't think we should try to have Merlin
> deprecating Fortress - instead I think we have Fortress deprecating
> things progressively relative to a standard containment architecture.
> The difference is that Fortress would continue to exist to handle the
> delta between what is established as standard, and what is specific to
> the ECM legacy.
> Basically I envisage a future in which the internals of Merlin are
> changing, evolving and adapting as we move towards the "perfect"
> solution. I should point out that I think that *release* should not be
> interprited as an *we-have-to-maintain-Merlin-API-as-is*.  Instead - the
> questions of what *release* actually means should discussed in a lot
> more detail (and on the dev list - not here).  In particular, we need a
> release plan that outlines what aspects are volotile, what aspects are
> not.

Ok, let me try and rephrase in a more succing way what you are saying: ;-P

1 Merlin/the evolution of it, will be the next Avalon container
2 Fortress will not go away because it will deal with legacy components
3 Merlin needs milestone releases to get more feedback

I agree with 1, 2.

I'd add another point: to become (1) Merlin must adopt common standard
contacts, which it currently does not always do, as Berin *correctly*
pointed out (hence the "divergent" bad work that got you more concerned
than IMHO was in the original intentions).

Then we should discuss a bit point 2 (esp you and Berin)

a - What does Fortress provide as legacy that Merlin will not provide
and why?

b - What about the *implementation* merits of Fortress that Merlin
lacks? Those would have to be ported as well.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -