avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RT] The Ominous Context
Date Thu, 10 Jul 2003 10:21:03 GMT

Niclas Hedhman wrote, On 10/07/2003 5.43:

> Looking from 10,000 feet, what is then the difference between an "object"
> residing in Context and one that can be looked up in the ServiceManager??

Wow, concise and 2thePoint :-)

IMHO this is the reason why the Context sufferes from the actual
problems. It has a contract (that nobody really agree on which it is)
that is not enforced by Java language emantics, *nor* Avalon framework
ones. There is no way whatsoever in which the developer sees that the
Context is used inappropriately.

Overmore, the term "Context" is used in many ways: BeanContext,
ServletContext, InvocationContext (or whatever it was).
Some "Contexts" pertain to the container, some to the request...

In reality, if I have well understood, the Context in Avalon means
ContainerServices. They are all the services that are exposed by the
container itself and not the Components it assembles.

But Fortress exposes some of its services as Components IIUC... so do we
really need a Context?

             - verba volant, scripta manent -