avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Royal <pro...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RRT] Getting back to the basics (long)
Date Thu, 31 Jul 2003 14:10:28 GMT
On Thursday, July 31, 2003, at 08:13  AM, Stephen McConnell wrote:
> Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
>> So, if I understand this correctly, the idea is to start a new version
>> from scratch (of course not really from scratch we already have
>> the framework interfaces)?
>>
>> Basically, I like the idea because by this it's possible to have a
>> real community development effort with avoiding the one-man shows >> etc.

Carsten, I agree with you.

> As I mentioned to Berin - I'm not about to start over - simply because
> there its just plain boring and a recepie for discontent.  Been there,
> done that, want to continue on the really challenging stuff.  Think
> about distributed containers, federated management, adaptive component
> security.  This is the future - a future where it challenges the best
> or our abilities - a future where we are not going over old ground
> attempting to convince each other that direction X is the best
> direction.

Stephen, why was Merlin started, as opposed to branching/working within
the existing Phoenix codebase?

My opinion is that you wanted a codebase where you had control over it.
And you have been positioning Merlin to be in a place to ascend to be
the primary Avalon container. You don't want to start over because you
already started over all by yourself and did everything you wanted to
without anyone else's input.

The disagreements this week have just show how you don't want to loose
the iron grip that you have upon the Merlin codebase. The undermining
of Berin's leadership also makes me thing that you want to run all of
Avalon too. You're just trying to drain everyone else's energy.

Back when there were talking about a future roadmap for Avalon, you
were all for creating a new container taking the best ideas from what
we have. Now that one of Avalon's greatest contributors, and someone
that was willing to stand up to you, has been effectively ousted, Berin
is next in line to be frustrated and worn down.

There. I've said it.

What are you looking for? Merlin to be a released and supported Avalon
container?

We all agreed that we wanted to move towards having a single container
here at Avalon. We currently have two released containers. Three
released containers is a big step backwards to me.

Perhaps Avalon would be better off with no containers of its own at all.

-pete "reaching that high level of frustration"