avalon-dev mailing list archives

From "Geer, Christopher S" <christopher.s.g...@lmco.com>
Subject RE: ROLE & Lifecycles in C#
Date Wed, 30 Jul 2003 13:01:43 GMT
> If there is already a IDisposable.Dispose(), then why not use it?
What
> context is it used with?  I see no sense in reinventing the wheel.

I agree we should use the provided interface if we can.

> Short list is:
>
> Configurable
> LookupEnabled
> Initializable
> Disposable

I'm assuming that you mean to role start() and stop() into Initializable
or something? Also, what about Suspendable, Reconfiguration and the
other Re's? Personally I beleive that those are very important
interfaces to support. While you could just role those into the list
above that would almost require everyone support them, which would mean
if someone didn't want them they would just have empty methods, giving
someone a false belief that the compoenent actually supported them.

> The LookupEnabled would merge the ServiceManager and Context concepts
into
> one, with a LookupManager.  If there is a .NET equivalent for that, it
would
> be useful to know.

I don't think there is a .NET equivilant.