avalon-dev mailing list archives

From "Geer, Christopher S" <christopher.s.g...@lmco.com>
Subject RE: [RRT] Getting back to the basics (long)
Date Thu, 31 Jul 2003 15:57:27 GMT

> -----Original Message-----
> From: hammett [mailto:holiveira@cimcorp.com.br]
> Sent: Thursday, July 31, 2003 11:36 AM
> To: Avalon Developers List
> Subject: Re: [RRT] Getting back to the basics (long)
>
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: "Geer, Christopher S" <christopher.s.geer@lmco.com>
>

> > The bottom line is the container coding
> > has already begun
>
> Where is it?

It hasn't been put into CVS yet, it's not ready.

> > and is under way but if we go down this path of
> > "starting over"  (I know probably not the right term) then we have
> > first look at the framework and make sure it meets the needs for a
> > componentized container, which I'm not sure it does right now. Right
now
> > the framework interfaces are in flux, which in turn affects the
> > container so we need to nail down the framework before the container
can
> > really be stable.
>
> I already say that I prefer small deliveries, small evolution of code.
> thought that interfaces were already defined (at least the minimum
set)
> and
> the first Avalon# container could be uploaded to CVS.

I agree with small evolution, however, if we are going to take Berin's
approach and start with a clean slate then we need to do that, not start
with the heritage interfaces in there now if we don't think they are
right.

> > Something I'd like to see done is just start developing a list of
> > capabilities that we should meet. Now I agree with Berin's XP
approach
> > concepts that say you shouldn't have "hard and fast" requirements
but a
> > living set of capabilities is a good idea so it can foster a "common
> > goal" in the team. I still believe that we should find a way to post
> > these to some website (that is up-to-date) as we agree on them for
> > historical purposes unless we just continually post updated sets to
the
> > list over and over again.
>
> Agree. This list should be done by Berin while he have the big
picture.

I actually think it should be developed by the community through
discussion. I actually plan to start a small list to just get it going
(unless Berin wants to).