avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Berin Loritsch <blorit...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RRT] Getting back to the basics (long)
Date Thu, 31 Jul 2003 12:48:41 GMT
Stephen McConnell wrote:

> As I mentioned to Berin - I'm not about to start over - simply because
> there its just plain boring and a recepie for discontent.  Been there,
> done that, want to continue on the really challenging stuff.  Think
> about distributed containers, federated management, adaptive component
> security.  This is the future - a future where it challenges the best or
> our abilities - a future where we are not going over old ground
> attempting to convince each other that direction X is the best direction.
>
> Go for the challenges - its a lot more interesting.

Don't think of it as starting over.  Think of it as refactoring the core
to make those really challenging things easier.

I would like to take a look at how the different containers organize things
in the core to see the strengths and weaknesses of each.  Leveraging that
information, we can provide for a better and refactored core that we all
know how to work with.

As to the list of challenges you have, I would like a little more info:

* Distributed containers: I think we understand this well enough
* Federated Management: I am not sure what you mean by this.
* Adaptive component security: Phoenix has a start on this I believe, or
                                are you talking about something different?

  deserve neither liberty nor safety."
                 - Benjamin Franklin