avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Stephen McConnell <mcconn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: ROLE & Lifecycles in C#
Date Wed, 30 Jul 2003 13:16:45 GMT

Geer, Christopher S wrote:

>>If there is already a IDisposable.Dispose(), then why not use it?
>>

>What
>

>>context is it used with?  I see no sense in reinventing the wheel.
>>

>I agree we should use the provided interface if we can.
>

>>Short list is:
>>
>>Configurable
>>LookupEnabled
>>Initializable
>>Disposable
>>

>I'm assuming that you mean to role start() and stop() into Initializable
>or something? Also, what about Suspendable, Reconfiguration and the
>other Re's? Personally I beleive that those are very important
>interfaces to support. While you could just role those into the list
>above that would almost require everyone support them, which would mean
>if someone didn't want them they would just have empty methods, giving
>someone a false belief that the compoenent actually supported them.

My view is that the Re interfaces should be progressively withdrawn.
Take something like configurable - it declares the contract for how a
container passes a configuration to a component.  If you have additional
meta information about the component you can establish if the component
supports reconfiguration or not, and if it does, you can suspend and
reapply a configuration using the configurable interface.  This approach
seperates the re-semantics out into meta-info and preserves the
structural interface as a nothing more that the computational mechanism
for passing a configuration to a component.

My 0.02.

Cheers, Stephen.

--

Stephen J. McConnell