avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Berin Loritsch <blorit...@apache.org>
Subject Re: releasing merlin
Date Tue, 29 Jul 2003 15:58:32 GMT
Stephen McConnell wrote:

> Berin Loritsch wrote:
>
>> Stephen McConnell wrote:
>>

>>> This really has created an environment where I do not feel confident
>>> in accepting your statements without a lot a suspicion and
>>> skepticism. I think it would be better for everyone concerned if I
>>> simply move the avalon-meta package back into Merlin, moving
>>> everything into the merlin namespace, and move forward from there.
>>> This will enable the assessment of Merlin's approach to
>>> meta-management, tags, tools, extensions, components, etc. - and from
>>> this, hopefully and more informed decision can be taken at some time
>>> in the future.
>>
>> Don't do that.  We have been making progress, and I would be against
>> destroying
>> that progress.
>
> In your reply to my request for a checklist of lifecycle extension
> concerns:
>
>  http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=avalon-dev&m=105948538408807&w=2
>
> You detailed that fact that you concerns are not in fact technical in
> nature - but instead - concerns related to the inclusion of facilities
> into the Avalon core namespace without sufficient understanding of these
> concerns by the development community and without sufficient feedback
> from the user community.  In fact we can summarize this entire
> "conflict" as a question of fear of the unknown, uncertainty of
> applicability, and doubt concerning utility.

I think I eloquently stated my position, and I believe my goal is compatible
with yours.

> Releasing Merlin would address each and every-one of your concerns.
> Based on broader user feedback and greater developer experience we will
> be in a much better position to move forward constructively.

Actually, I think it would make things a little worse by diluting our already
thin resources.  We have 90% of the equation agreed to.  I think it would be
better for us to publish that 90% now, so that we can integrate them into the
other containers.  That way, a realease of Merlin won't be such a big deal.
All a user needs to know is that if they implement the set of Avalon tags, their
component will work accross all the containers.

Let's start with what we know.  We can add in what we don't over time.

If we release the general Meta Info library with the set of Avalon tags we have
agreed to up to this point, then after we incorporate it into Fortress and
Phoenix, I have no issues with a Merlin release.

 From that point forward, we can work on collaborating for that last 10%.

  deserve neither liberty nor safety."
                 - Benjamin Franklin