avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Stephen McConnell <mcconn...@apache.org>
Subject releasing merlin
Date Tue, 29 Jul 2003 14:54:22 GMT

Berin Loritsch wrote:

> Stephen McConnell wrote:
>

>> This really has created an environment where I do not feel confident
>> in accepting your statements without a lot a suspicion and
>> skepticism. I think it would be better for everyone concerned if I
>> simply move the avalon-meta package back into Merlin, moving
>> everything into the merlin namespace, and move forward from there.
>> This will enable the assessment of Merlin's approach to
>> meta-management, tags, tools, extensions, components, etc. - and from
>> this, hopefully and more informed decision can be taken at some time
>> in the future.
>

> Don't do that.  We have been making progress, and I would be against
> destroying
> that progress.

In your reply to my request for a checklist of lifecycle extension concerns:

  http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=avalon-dev&m=105948538408807&w=2

You detailed that fact that you concerns are not in fact technical in
nature - but instead - concerns related to the inclusion of facilities
into the Avalon core namespace without sufficient understanding of these
concerns by the development community and without sufficient feedback
from the user community.  In fact we can summarize this entire
"conflict" as a question of fear of the unknown, uncertainty of
applicability, and doubt concerning utility.

Releasing Merlin would address each and every-one of your concerns.
Based on broader user feedback and greater developer experience we will
be in a much better position to move forward constructively.

Stephen.

--

Stephen J. McConnell
mailto:mcconnell@apache.org