avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Stephen McConnell <mcconn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: limiting the scope of avalon
Date Tue, 29 Jul 2003 13:47:34 GMT

Berin Loritsch wrote:

> Stephen McConnell wrote:
>

>> Berin Loritsch wrote:
>>
>>> ?!  The only things we officially have in place are ECM, Fortress, and
>>> Phoenix.  It should be limited to that function set.
>>

>> Berin:
>>
>> I would like to draw you attention to the following:
>>
>> * The excalibur-lifecycle package is released and is a part of the
>> Avalon toolkit.
>> * The meta-info package is in sandbox and is certainly ready for
>> release as is.
>> * The Merlin container is also ready for release.
>>
>> I don't think we should ignore our responsibilities with respect to
>> released packages, and I don't think we should promote an artificial
>> and self-serving discrimination against the contributions that exist
>> in the sandbox.
>

> I hear you loud and clear.  However, getting back to my question about
> how to manage the growth of APIs, please let me draw your attention to
> the
> following:
>
> * I would like meta-info and Merlin released
> * For those function areas that we have not all had time to digest,
> namely
>   the extension meta info, I would like a breakin period.
> * The rest of the meta-info standard is ready for release without any
>   reservations.

Berin:

I've put a lot of time into the separation of the meta-info package out
of Merlin and into a avalon-meta. This included documentation, APIs,
synchronizing on tags, etc.  During this process:

* I have been accused by you of being diverse.
* I have been told by you that a release will not happen until your
issues are resolved
* I have been accused of ignoring your views.
* I have been told by you to pull in line or leave Avalon.

This really has created an environment where I do not feel confident in
accepting your statements without a lot a suspicion and skepticism. I
think it would be better for everyone concerned if I simply move the
avalon-meta package back into Merlin, moving everything into the merlin
namespace, and move forward from there.  This will enable the assessment
of Merlin's approach to meta-management, tags, tools, extensions,
components, etc. - and from this, hopefully and more informed decision
can be taken at some time in the future.

Stephen.

--

Stephen J. McConnell
mailto:mcconnell@apache.org