avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Stephen McConnell <mcconn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [ANTI-VOTE] Lifecycle Extension Tags
Date Mon, 28 Jul 2003 15:04:48 GMT

Leo Sutic wrote:

>>From: Stephen McConnell [mailto:mcconnell@apache.org]
>>
>>Calling for a vote is about the least productive thing you
>>could do to get consensus.
>>

>I've done that many times in order to force *a* decision
>either way. It is a great way to say "OK, we've fired off
>our best arguments, let's put the issue to the team."

Forcing a decision when all of the cards are on the table and the
choices are valid is ok.  This is forcing a decision without a solution
and introducing a fracture into whatever we do from here.  We have lived
with the ECM Phoenix divide for long enough - do we really have to do
for divsion again and again?  Forcing a vote at this time is a blunder
of major proportion.  The questions are important - the issue need to
resolved.  I've already explain that we need to either complete things
properly or abstract ourselves.

>>I will consider it totally invalid and I certainly will not
>>feel bound by any outcome.
>>

>So does that mean we can ignore your votes, vetoes and so
>on as we see fit from now on?

Feel free to do whatever you want.

There is simply insufficient understanding of this implications
of the options that Berin put forward to call a vote at this time.
I cannot support or endorce a process that that I know is faulted
in motivation and technical argument.

>Stephen, the votes aren't something you can choose to ignore
>when and as you see fit. If a vote is completely invalid, then
>nobody will vote, or everyone will vote -1. Right now there
>are people voting +1. That in itself makes it valid.

Yes - there are people voting +1.

Do they understand what they are voting for?  My guess is that they will
assume the very simplistic line from Berin that this is about a
namespace.  They will not take into account the ramifications.  They
probably will not appreciate that this is a divisive point in terms of
the avalon component model. They will probably not appreciate that it
introduces a separation at the core of Avalon and from that separation
there will eternally be those that do and those that don't.

Steve.

--

Stephen J. McConnell
mailto:mcconnell@apache.org