avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Berin Loritsch <blorit...@apache.org>
Subject [VOTE] Lifecycle Extension Tags
Date Mon, 28 Jul 2003 13:48:28 GMT
It appears that both Stephen and I have opposing views on this particular point,
so the best solution is to get some consensus.  We will go with the solution
that the Avalon team chooses.

The question comes from the @avalon.extension and @avalon.stage tags.  They were
introduced to allow Merlin to use meta-info to declare a dependency on the
lifecycle extensions.  Below is the proposal and objection:

Proposal:

Move these two tags to a neutral namespace like @lifecycle.* so that their use
can be fine tuned without affecting the rest of the Avalon Meta Tags proposal.
I beleive that putting them in a separate namespace helps enforce the idea that
they are not essential to pure Avalon components, and their use should be done
by people who understand the implication.

Objection:

They may not be core, but it is essential that a container recognize that the
extension is required.  Merlin has been using them for a while and Merlin users
have not had a problem with them.  (I am probably missing something here, but
you can find the full set of objections in the "[Proposal] AMTAGS pt. 3 (Stage
and Extension)" thread.)

Please be certain that whatever namespace we choose, it does not mean that we
have to come up with a "container extension" plan at this time.  We can cross
that bridge when we come to it.

[VOTE]

Place the extension tags (.extension and .stage) in the @lifecycle namespace.

[ ] +1 I like the proposal
[ ] -1 I am fine with them in the @avalon namespace
[ ] 0  I don't really care (I'll go with the majority)

+1 from me.

  deserve neither liberty nor safety."
                 - Benjamin Franklin