avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Stephen McConnell <mcconn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Proposal] AMTAGS pt. 3 (Stage and Extension)
Date Mon, 28 Jul 2003 13:42:46 GMT

Leo Simons wrote:

> I disagree with the notion that all avalon containers must know what a
> lifecycle extension is (though I agree all containers developed at
> avalon.apache.org should), and this would make clear that some
> container developers can / should / are likely to ignore the lifecycle
> stuff.

When you say "lifecycle extension" do you mean the notion of a lifecycle
stage that is declaring a dependency, or do you mean the
excalibur-lifecycle package that deals with pre-initialization and
pre-disposal plugins?

If you mean a containers should not be aware of the notion of a logical
lifecycle stage deployment dependency, then in an attempt to change your
mindset, please read on ....

  * can ignore it - stay with STV
  * should ignore it - live with STV forever
  * are likely to ignore - yes *if* we move this out of the
    avalon namespace, and in doing so - we go back to STV

If an Avalon container does not know what a lifecycle stage dependency
is - then there is no chance for any reliable deployment across
different containers unless we throw out the current tags and shift our
abstraction level up one level and start over.  This is not about a
requirement to implement - this is about recognition that a stage is a
logical abstraction in an Avalon lifecycle and that as such a stage
represents a logical dependency that a container must be aware of before
it consider a component as a candidate in a deployment scenario.

If on the other-hand, your thinking about excalibur-lifecycle, then
please read the following post which details its relationship to subject
of tags, meta, containers and deployment:

   http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=avalon-dev&m=105921226013382&w=2

Cheers, Steve.

--

Stephen J. McConnell