avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Berin Loritsch <blorit...@apache.org>
Subject [Proposal] AMTAGS Pt. 2 (validation tags)
Date Fri, 25 Jul 2003 16:36:35 GMT
Again, I am splitting this up into three threads.  The first one is already
under way.  Each thread represents a different level of concern.

In this thread, we are dealing with the context, logging, and configuration
meta tags.  I personally do not have a strong oppinion against them.  I can
see value for their existence.  As the context and configuration aspects are
fairly Avalon specific, I don't mind them being in the Avalon namespace.  I
do request that they be specified as *optional* meta information.  The logging
attribute is more generic, but there is little point in defining a new namespace
just for that concern.

Part of the reason why I am somewhat hesitant about them is because of the
cry for simplicity.  PicoContainer, Fortress, ECM, and Phoenix (with the
exception of the configuration tag) all live quite happily without them.
While they make certain things like dynamic assembly a workable reality,
I wonder how many developers will agree that they *have* to use it.

I like validation, and I think we should provide hooks so that developers
interested in validation and verification of their system can let it take
place automatically.  On the other hand, I don't think we should make it
a mandatory thing for those developers with very simple needs.  I.e. it
helps reduce the complexity of writing components for those who don't want
that complexity.

I believe this is a reasonable request.

My second concern has to do with the implications on implementation.  As
long as I can choose any method I like to validate the context entries or
configuration, all is well.  I don't want to be forced into a contract
between context entry dependency declaration and context entry definition.
The AMTAGS should be strictly applied to making the component writer's
life easy.

  deserve neither liberty nor safety."
                 - Benjamin Franklin