avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Stephen McConnell <mcconn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [AMTAGS] Updating the spec
Date Tue, 22 Jul 2003 19:22:37 GMT

Farr, Aaron wrote:

> [...]

<snip/>

>So unless there's an easy way to edit or override meta-info (perhaps JMX?)
>then I'm currently of the opinion that some of it should be left in
>configuration files.  If anyone has some better ideas on this, I'd love to
>hear them.

Just a note - meta-info is immutable. What is actually happening inside
Merlin is that a deployment model is constructed based on meta-info
descriptors in accordance with meta-data directives. The configuration
info that Merlin provides at the type (meta-info) level is pure
immutable default-configuration values. When you override a component
configuration your actually overriding the model definition of a
configuration which was constructed using defaults + directives. If you
write out the type at any time you get the original type – no modification.

As far as JMX is concerned - that's all about model manipulation (which
is a much more interesting subject).

Cheers, Steve.

>jaaron

Stephen J. McConnell