avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Berin Loritsch <blorit...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [AMTAGS] Updating the spec
Date Tue, 22 Jul 2003 12:23:07 GMT
J Aaron Farr wrote:
> On Mon, 2003-07-21 at 21:30, Stephen McConnell wrote:
>

>>I'm not keen on shfting this outside of the @avalon namspace because its
>>not different to a @avalon.dependency or @avalon.context - they all
>>relate to lifecycle fulfilment.
>

> Is the issue with @avalon namespace that it should be reserved for only
> those tags/features which every container supports? ie- Phoenix doesn't
> have lifecycle extensions yet therefore @avalon.stage should be
> @lifecycle.stage (or whatever)?  Or is it because lifecycle extensions
> are part of excalibur and not framework?
>
> Just trying to understand what and why we want to reserve the @avalon
> namespace for.  I suppose this is more a question for Berin.

I want to let us allow for arbitrary meta-information which will be used
for extension points.  For example, support for Lifecycle Extensions as
it is currently defined can be put into a container extensions (Appliance
in Merlin speak), and that set of information would be available for that
container extension.

That way we can easily expand upon the core of Avalon's features, and
easily add support for these lifecycle extensions uniformly accross all
containers.  At least this is my current train of thought.  Esp. since
we will have to track the @mx-*** management tags as a container extension
as well.  If we define the mechanisms to do that, all is well.

> Not sure how much I like this, but it works.  Another alternative would
> be a set of tags like:
>
> @avalon.dependency.attribute name="color" value="red"
>
> But I'm not sure if I like that any better.

It requires more thinking.

  deserve neither liberty nor safety."
                 - Benjamin Franklin