avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Berin Loritsch <blorit...@apache.org>
Subject Merlin's Future with Avalon
Date Wed, 16 Jul 2003 20:14:58 GMT
I hope this is not as ominous as it sounds, but I want to get a feel for
the community on the whole Fortress/Merlin/Phoenix scenario.  We currently
have two officially released and supported containers: Fortress and Phoenix.
Both have enjoyed a variety of eyes on the projects, and increased exposure
due to their release status.  Now Merlin is nearing the point where it would
like the same benefits of Fortress and Phoenix.

Before I can be OK with that, we need to ensure that all user components
are defined consistently across all containers.  The meta API separated
out is a step in that direction.  We need to be assured that the same
component used in Merlin will continue to function in Fortress, and vice
versa.

To that end, we need to focus on the AMTAGS proposal and the Context
clarifications.  Currently, there is a similarity in some of the component
definitions between Phoenix and Fortress, with Merlin being divergent in
these areas.

We cannot have Melin be divergent.  We need one spec to drive the user
expectations.

Beyond that, I have nothing against Merlin.  It solves some user needs,
otherwise it would not have been written.  I think with more eyes on it,
the internals will likely be improved without breaking the client's
code.

The all important question is what is the developer interest in this
container?  Who else is willing to put their eyes on it and time to
maintain it?

  deserve neither liberty nor safety."
                 - Benjamin Franklin