avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Stephen McConnell <mcconn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Meta Info Reading and Writing
Date Tue, 15 Jul 2003 21:42:59 GMT

Berin Loritsch wrote:

> Stephen McConnell wrote:
>

>> Ok - I've taken a look and to be honest - I don't understand what
>> this is for - don't get the value it provides - I don't like the fact
>> that its non-serializable which in turn means that the creators break
>> because the serialized and non-serialized result will be different.
>> As a result I think MetaInfoLocator should not be included in the
>> Type defintion.
>

> It is marked transient so it is never serialized.

That's the problem - by declaring a non-seraializable argument that
forms part of the state in one context, when you serialize and pass the
serialized form to another context - the second context is not going to
function in the same way because the value returned will be different.

>> If you really need something loike this then start thinking about
>> defining a meta-info service under the SPI package - that takes a
>> Type and an extension key as an argument.  There simply isn't any
>> reason to include this into the core Type defintion.
>

> A plugin will require access to the info it provides.

There are a couple of seperate things here - you are introding state
(the key you included on the MetaInfoLocator) but that state is not part
of the Type defintion which means you would be unable to replicate the
same Type instance.  This is seperate for the convinience function of
getting input and output streams relative to a type defintion.  The
service I hjust committed addresses stream acess side of things - but I
stil have the impression that your trying to do something which I still
don't understand.

> If it goes in the
> SPI package then we admit that there is no reason for the SPI package.

?????
(a.k.a. I don't understand this assertion)

> Container and plugin requirements are identical.

I disagree.  The plugin does stuff to establish a standard meta-info
descriptor persistent form (XML or serializable) based on javadoc tags.
A container has zero interest in javadoc tags - but it is interested in
reading standard persistent meta-info descriptors.

Steve.

--

Stephen J. McConnell
mailto:mcconnell@apache.org