avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Stephen McConnell <mcconn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Meta Info Reading and Writing
Date Tue, 15 Jul 2003 20:33:26 GMT

Berin Loritsch wrote:

> Stephen McConnell wrote:
>

>>> Ok.  I have made a first cut at this, which will allow you to update
>>> your writers to address the @todo regarding serializing the
>>> configuration/
>>> default configuration info.
>>

>> I really wish we discussed this first and came to some sort of
>> agreement before committing this into the classes.  I still don't
>> understand properly what you want to do or why you want to do it!
>

> See my other post--I have some questions myself.
>
> I am keeping an eye out on future requirements while trying to satisfy
> our current ones.

Ok - I've taken a look and to be honest - I don't understand what this
is for - don't get the value it provides - I don't like the fact that
its non-serializable which in turn means that the creators break because
the serialized and non-serialized result will be different.  As a result
I think MetaInfoLocator should not be included in the Type defintion.

If you really need something loike this then start thinking about
defining a meta-info service under the SPI package - that takes a Type
and an extension key as an argument.  There simply isn't any reason to
include this into the core Type defintion.

Steve.

--

Stephen J. McConnell
mailto:mcconnell@apache.org