avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Berin Loritsch <blorit...@apache.org>
Subject Meta Info Reading and Writing
Date Tue, 15 Jul 2003 16:59:57 GMT
One thing that seems to be missing from the meta-info SPI library is the
separation from stream/persistence.  The issue here is that some things
are always tracked in separate files.  Examples include JMX extensions,
Configuration schemas, etc.

Instead of assuming one file contains all the meta info, we should allow
the reader/writer to ask for a resource by changing the extension alone.

For example:

interface MetaInfoResource
{
     InputStream getMetaInputStream( String extension );
     OutputStream getMetaOutputStream( String extension );
}

The Readers and Writers will be able to get all the different streams
that belong to the particular resource.  It will also allow extensions
to load their specific information as necessary.

I believe this is very important piece of the system we need.  It will
also help me write the readers/writers for existing Fortress components.

  deserve neither liberty nor safety."
                 - Benjamin Franklin