avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Berin Loritsch <blorit...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Fortress : My first real Container Implementation
Date Fri, 11 Jul 2003 12:21:52 GMT
david.gray@hic.gov.au wrote:

> While I  have lurked on this newsgroup for some time and contributed a
> couple of small things, I never had got around to using any of the
> containers.
>
> However, I am pleased to say that I have rectified this by writing a small
> example using Fortress.
>
> I must say that I was:
>
> - impressed by how easy it was to get this up and running (Simple Servlet);
>
> - impressed by the way that the components use the Avalon container to
> handle logging (sooo easy to do);
>
> - impressed by the way that the container XML makes is so easy to define
> and configure the components.
>
> I can only now begin to grasp the potential of this architecture thing.

Great!  Could you post this up on the testamonials section of our Wiki?
Or would you mind if one of us did?

> One question though - the example logging xml file referes to
> "system.logkit" - is there any support for log4j?

Yes there is support for Log4J.  Currently it is only in the beginning
stages, but you pass in an XML configuration for Log4J with a specific
root element, or you can force it by specifying a particular attribute.
As I am answering emails before I have done anything this morning, I haven't
had time to check the code to tell you exactly how to do it...

See if you can find info on the Wiki, if not I can get you an answer later
today.

  deserve neither liberty nor safety."
                 - Benjamin Franklin