avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Berin Loritsch <blorit...@apache.org>
Subject Re: SPI/API/Etc.
Date Thu, 10 Jul 2003 15:20:02 GMT
Stephen McConnell wrote:

> With just the meta-info, the number of spi interfaces is rather small.
> I can imagine the SPI package growing to be more significant with the
> progressive evolution to include meta-data directives and meta-model
> interfaces.  Given that this is an overhead for container developers and
> zero impact on users, I would keep the SPI seperate from the API.

How about this:

* Let's start with what we have.
* Let's start with the .spi subpackage with the interfaces, but no separate jar.
* Let's get that stable and working and at least 90% code coverage.
* After this point we start fitting the current containers to use the API
   (Fortress/Phoenix at least)
* When we actually need to beef up the SPI portion, we do that then.

The critical thing at this time is getting the Meta info and using the API.

Users of the Meta info API are:

* The Containers
* The meta-info plugin
* (Future) Container Extensions

As we get a better feel what is beneficial for Container Extension writers,
we can concentrate on separating the API and SPI.  That can only *really*
happen when we have some extensions written.

Does that sound like a workable plan?

  deserve neither liberty nor safety."
                 - Benjamin Franklin