avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Berin Loritsch <blorit...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RT] The Ominous Context
Date Thu, 10 Jul 2003 11:45:51 GMT
Niclas Hedhman wrote:

>>                -oO Context Declaration and Definition 0o-
>>
>>The user of a system has two separate concerns they have to worry about.
>> The first concern has to do with declaration, much like we declare any
>>required services that we need for our component.  In fact, I propose we
>>follow the same model that we have for services as we do for context
>>entries.  That model is that the component declares its requirements,
>>and in assembly we identify how those requirements are fulfilled.
>>That's right, the second concern which is defining the context entries
>>and values belongs to application assembly.
>>
>>This solution provides the maximum amount of flexibility for the
>>application developer, while ensuring that the system can perform its
>>validations and share information accross several components.
>

> Looking from 10,000 feet, what is then the difference between an "object"
> residing in Context and one that can be looked up in the ServiceManager??

Currently, it is the purpose of the object.  I understand where you are coming
from.  For Avalon 5 whenever we get to that, I would like to have one lookup
manager--perhaps even a JNDI context that is passed in (no InitialContext
capabilities)--but that is the future.  We have the present Avalon 4 to
support.

Purpose of ServiceManager: to obtain a reference to other components (AKA
services).

Purpose of a Context: to obtain a reference to global information (e.g.
Files, URLs, etc.)

  deserve neither liberty nor safety."
                 - Benjamin Franklin